After reviewing movies and video games, it’s time to review my most favorite form of media: comics and manga! And to format this, I’ll review two issues of American comics and two volumes Japanese manga to makes things even. Also as I said before, I will minimize as many spoilers as possible but still you’ve been warned!
1. Superior Carnage Annual #1- Though not really a Superior title, this annual issue continues Cletus Kasady’s and the Carnage symbiote’s fate from the events of Superior Carnage.
1. Cullen Bunn brings his A game here when he it comes to symbiote as he knows Cletus Kasady is a sadistic killer and even creates a strange romance between Cletus and the symbiote as they have a genuine chemeistry in a very dark and twisted way.
2. Though I wasn’t a fan of his work on Venom (maybe fdue to the inking and coloring), Kim Jacinto’s art was awesome here as it has a very grainy yet streamline style similar to a grindhouse film or something made by Rob Zombie. Plus there are some creepy moments like Carnage’s escape.
3. Carnage himself looks great here and the symbiotes roadtrip was a neat highlight of this book.
1. The only bad is that this is not a Superior title that the actual Superior Carnage miniseries was, hell only two Spiderlings make a cameo here and that’s it.
2. Also not a fan of the cover.
So this may not be the book the title suggest, Cullen Bunn made his promise that he’s not done with symbiotes and also show Carnage doesn’t need to be Superior to be a badass! Also can’t wait for Deadpool vs. Carnage! 10 out of 10.
2. New Warriors #1- A relaunch of a non-Avengers book (finally Marvel) and in a way a sequel to the currently cancelled Scarlet Spider series (it even has the same writer), this is a team book I’m definitely going to follow!
1. Christopher Yost balences showing who these characters are greatly in one issue and though I don’t know everyone on this team, I am interested in all these characters. Plus there’s a fun and humorous tone in this and Scarlet Spider/Aracely’s banter is hilarious.
2. Marcus To’s artwork is very bright and detailed, something very fitting to what series Yost is writing this off as with a lot of lighting and never had hard to see moments.
3. Again Scarlet Spider and Aracely are here so that’s a point!
1. The only complaint here is that this book feels too short and makes me want to read more, but maybe it’s because this is really good.
So Marvel finally has a new book that isn’t an Avengers related series and for Scarlet Spider fans, Kaine is still around! 9 out of 10.
1. Neon Geneis Evangelion Volume 1- The manga adaptation of the original series wiriten and drawn by the anime’s character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto who actually made a manga that, in my opinion, a superior story than the original manga and here it shows.
1. Overall the story is the same as the first two or three episodes of the anime; this adds some pretty cool things like Rei piloting Unit 01 temporarily to fight the third angel in order for Shinji and Misato to escape. Also it adds some new elements in Unit 01 itself that makes it much more threatening.
2. The art here is really dynamic with some good shading and the fight between Unit 01 and the Third Angel is pretty awesome!
3. The best aspect here is the changes to Shinj! Here he’s not a whiny, spineless kid! Here’ s a kid who has resentment for his father and is just a teenage with some issues due to being abandoned by his father and seeing his mother “die”. Thank you Sadamotot for making Shinji likable!
1. I think some of the character expressions seem off at times, but other than that they characters look great.
2. Monster Musume: Everyday Life with Monster Girls Volume 1- A funny parody of the harem genre with Monster Girls, a series I thought will be nothing but fanservice actually has some smart humor and very interesting and well developed characters.
1. The overall backstory and story of this series is very interesting involving what will happen if humans and “extra-species” try to make diplomatic peace in a modern setting. The series also try to add some legitimate science in each species (ie Lamias are cold-blooded, Harpies look young due to their lightweight physiology in order to fly ect.) along with going to each sepcies culture.
2. The art is very good with some unique take of creaures from mythology. Plus it fits the humorous tone of this series.
3. The characters truly shine here as all the characters are not one note stereotypes and yet (especially the monster girls) that fit who or what they are. The main male character Kurusu is not some perverted goofball seen in a lot of harem mangas as he’s a very likable character who tried to see the good in a situation despite the strange situation he’s in. All the monster girls are also very entertaining with very fitting personalities (ie the eccentric Lamia Mii, the hyper Harpy Papi, and the noble Centuar Cerea) and their relationship with Kurusu is also very well developed.
1. Despite some good humor and characters, the manga suffers from too much fanservice. Though I don’t mind some fanservice and some of it here can be funny, I think it overshadows the good things here and if you hate fanservice, you won’t like this manga.
So despite having a little too much fanservice, there’s enough humor and characters that is very creativce and I now have a new manga series to follow actively (besides Attack on Titan). 8 out of 10.
What do you think of these comics/mangas if you’ve read them? Comment below.