|DYKComics Presents Villains' Month!|
First off these are my own opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and the last things I need is a flame war.
Okay I’ve been noticing a divide with Spidey fans regarding the post Superior Spider-Man series; some love it and others…not so much. And with Spider-Verse on its way, it’s time to give my thoughts on what the divide is focused on; Dan Slott.
First let me address the hate: people have hated him ever since Superior Spider-Man and despite the series being over and done with and Peter Parker is back, the hate is still there. They hate Anna Maria, they hate Silk, they hate villainous Black Cat, and they hate Edge of Spider-Verse’s death count and so on. And look if that’s your opinion that is completely understandable, but as a big I need to address the series so far.
And I like so far.
Look we’re in eight issues in, this series is still less than a year old and as such we can’t’ judge on new ideas just yet as they need time to develop. So let me go down my thoughts:
1. Anna Maria: I love her character in Superior and the fact she’s still here is great. I love how she’s making people take more responsibility and not blame himself for everything or try to save everyone. And so far Peter is being productive, especially his prison idea as finally someone addresses how suckie Marvel prisons are. Hell he managed to cure Electro and I like how he tried to be humane with criminals.
2. Silk: Look she’s only been around three issues and it’s way too early to judge. I’ve heard she’s a Mary Sue character and I don’t see it. She’s not perfect and hell she’s decades behind mentally. As for the whole thing of her and Peter kissing and acting like teens in a Friday the 13th movie, I doubt that’s going to be permanent. To me it’s an interesting idea and somewhat funny. I mean give her a year of two (she’s getting her own series) and we can give a well-rounded opinion of her.
3. Evil Black Cat: Well she did start out as a villain. I know we love her as a heroine but she’s the kind of character that can go bad and make sense. And she has a motivation that makes sense, she lost everything thanks due Octavius. And Catwoman tends to be both a hero and a villain, why can’t Black Cat?
4. Edge of Spider-Verse’s body count: Okay I understand if you’re favorite alternate reality Spidey has been killed off (none of mine so far), these are not the big realities like Ultimate and 2099 and as such those characters have a big chance of dying as Alternate Realties in comics can get away with anything (look at DC’s elsewolds and tell me when a Batman or Superman is killed?) And nothing is permanent in comics, I mean look at what just happened in Miles Morales: Spider-Man.
It seems people can’t let go of their hate of Superior Spider yes that comic has some glaring problems, but it’s not THE worst comic ever written *cough Frank Miller’s Holy Terror cough* or even the worst Spidey comic (I’m looking at you One More Day). So I’ll list some good stuff Slott has added to Spider-Man:
1. Flash Thompson Venom (though to be fair Rick Remender and Cullen Bunn added more, but Slott started it).
3. Spider-Man 2099 returns.
4. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.
5. A Matter of Life and Death.
6. New Ways to Die and Anti-Venom himself.
7. Ends of the Earth.
And I am excited for what’s to come in Spider-Verse and with the stakes very high in that book; it’s good to have tension. Plus we know Spider-Gwen is going to survive so I’m happy with that.